Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Challenges for 2013

Happy New Year!

Like most people, I always look forward to the beginning of a new year. It signals a fresh start, although I sometimes have to remind myself that I don't have to wait until a new year (or a new week or month) to start over--new starts can happen all the time. Still, there's something exciting about dreaming about the year ahead and having this blank slate ahead of you.

Last week I treated myself to a new journal (thank you, bargain book section at Books-a-Million!) and this morning sat down to write my first entry for 2013. Once upon a time I journaled regularly but over the past couple of years have become a real slacker in that area. However, I'm determined that 2013 will be different in many ways, including journaling on a regular basis. 

Instead of writing resolutions, I wrote out some challenges for myself for 2013. (You may not see any difference in resolutions and challenges, but to me, "challenges" sound like something to work toward, whereas "resolutions" connote a do-or-die mentality that ultimately set me up for failure. Semantics, I know.)

At the risk of oversharing and for accountability purposes, here are my challenges to myself for the coming year, in no particular order:

• Continue making exercise and healthy eating a priority. 
• No sugar in January, except for in coffee and fruit. No desserts this month. (I have a BIG sweet tooth so this is going to be quite a challenge. It's been several years since I've done a sugar fast.)
• Make a budget on paper (not just in my head) and stick to it.
• Try at least one new thing a month--a new restaurant, new product, something to break me out of a rut.
• Journal at least once/week but preferably 5-7 times/week.
• Blog at least once/week.
• Give more of my money, time, and self to those who need it. Remember that it's not really mine to begin with--it all belongs to God.
• Participate in another small group Bible study.
• Be more thankful and express it daily.
• Invite people over to my house regularly.
• Start a new hobby. I'm leaning towards sewing (I'm inspired by all those cute projects I see on Pinterest) but will probably need to find someone to tutor me.

Let me reiterate that I share this list with you not to brag on myself or feel important, but because I know that I need the accountability. It's easy for me to come up with a long list of things that I say I'm going to do and never follow through because I don't tell anyone else about it. So I'm giving you permission to {lovingly} hound me about any or all of the challenges on this list. 

Have you set any challenges or goals for yourself for 2013 that you'd like to share?

1 comment:

Carrie from Talking In Space said...

I have a multitude of resolutions this year. Since that may be a little overwhelming to tackle at once, I plan to focus on one each month. My overarching goal for the year is to do more things that bring joy and fulfillment in my life and eliminate a lot of the things that bring negativity. I don't feel strongly enough about it to unfriend people yet, but there will be some more posts hidden from my news feed. : )