Monday, September 10, 2012

Living & Active Challenge: Week 1 Begins!


The Peak 313 Fitness Living and Active Challenge has begun! As I reported in last week's post, Clare is challenging us with physical activity (at least 4 workouts/week) and spiritual "soul food" Scripture memorization. Here's how I plan to incorporate the challenge into my life:

Physical
Most weeks I am able to workout six days a week, with one day (usually Sunday) off for rest. (I'm not trying to brag--I just feel better and look better when I'm working out more days than when I'm not!) Mornings work best for me, although I do manage to get in some nighttime workouts with co-workers two to three evenings in a typical week. I'm currently going to boot camp three mornings a week (Monday-Wednesday-Friday), and on Saturdays I've been walking with a couple of friends who are training for a half-marathon.

I fully intend to get out of bed and workout on those days when I'm not at boot camp, but some days I give in to the temptation to sleep in. For this challenge I want to commit to these six mornings a week for workouts but not put myself on a cross-country guilt trip if it doesn't happen. I have to say that I've never regretted getting out of bed early to workout, but I have regretted skipping a workout. That said, I know there are times when my body just needs rest or I've got an early meeting at work or something else going on that keeps me from getting in a morning workout, so I'm trying to cut myself some slack without being self-indulgent. (A hard balance for sure!)

I've been consistent the past couple of months in keeping a food journal (My Fitness Pal). It has certainly helped me stay on track and not overeat (most days, anyway). I do notice that my downfall when it comes to eating tends to be nighttime snacking after dinner. I'm trying to pay more attention to my food cues and eat when I'm truly hungry, not out of boredom or habit. Much easier said than done, though.

Spiritual
Over the past year or so I've become more aware of the connection between our physical selves and our spiritual selves. There have been many times (especially when running at boot camp) when I've had Scriptures pop into my mind as I'm working out, such as "I can do all things [including run another set of stairs] through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, insertion mine) I think it's fitting that Clare is challenging us with a weekly Scripture memory verse to meditate on. I look forward to focusing on these verses, especially when I'm struggling and in need of encouragement in this challenge.

Accountability
I'm excited that my sister Carrie is participating in this challenge too! Even though we live in different states, we email and Facebook each other just about every day, and keeping each other accountable to this challenge should be easy. Knowing that I have her to answer to will definitely keep me on my toes!


Who else is up for the Challenge? You can learn more and sign up here.

No comments: