Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pray for Sara


My heart is heavy tonight for Sara Walker, a young wife and mother who is battling Stage IV colon cancer and who did not receive good news today. Sara grew up in Montgomery and went to my high school and even my college (although she was several years behind me). I'm not sure she remembers me, but I do have several friends who are friends with her, and my heart is heavy for them as well. 

Throughout her battle with cancer, Sara has impressed me (and countless others) with her trust in God and her encouragement to others. There are no doubt strangers around the world who have been impacted by her faith. She has truly used this terrible, awful disease as a means to glorify God while still being upfront and honest about her struggles. 

After reading today's post on her Caring Bridge site, I found myself dwelling on II Corinthians 4:8-18, in particular verse 16:

8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

13 It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” Since we have that same spirit of faith,we also believe and therefore speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. 15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.


16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen,since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. [Emphasis mine]

I am thankful for the example that Sara has given to all of us, and I am joining many others in prayer that she still has many days left on Earth to continue teaching us how to glorify God in every circumstance, in life as well as in death. Please join us as well in lifting her up in your prayers for healing, comfort, wisdom, peace and joy for Sara and her family. 

If you would like to read Sara's story, you can find it on her Caring Bridge site here.


1 comment:

Carrie from Talking In Space said...

It is amazing to me how strong Sara's faith has remained throughout her entire battle. I pray God moves to heal her. But if He doesn't, I pray Sara's family and friends get comfort from knowing what a huge impact Sara has had on so many people.